[ExI] Why Alien Life Would be our Doom - The Great Filter

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 04:09:52 UTC 2018

Except there's another couple interpretations:

* We are indeed the first, however mathematically likely if you make
certain assumptions that are not necessarily warranted.  (They kind of
alluded to this in the "filter is behind us" bit, but this is not
quite that scenario.)

* The filter ahead of us has stopped others but it won't stop us.
With literally no data, any filter could be supposed - including one
which we are the first to cross.  It's kind of Pascal's Wager.