[ExI] FW: Why Alien Life Would be our Doom - The Great Filter

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Feb 5 06:21:57 UTC 2018

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of Samantha Atkins
Subject: Re: [ExI] Why Alien Life Would be our Doom - The Great Filter

> On Feb 4, 2018, at 8:09 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Except there's another couple interpretations:
>
>> * We are indeed the first, however mathematically likely if you make
>> certain assumptions that are not necessarily warranted.  (They kind
>> of alluded to this in the "filter is behind us" bit, but this is not
>> quite that scenario.)

>...I find that by far the least likely.  The universe is so vast.
>Hundreds
of billions of planets in this galaxy alone. I would find it easier to
believe we are in a simulation arranged for us to be alone...

We are in a simulation?  What you mean WE, Kimosabe?

The line of reasoning you suggest just doesn't stop at the 7 billion humans
on the planet.  It works just as well if we bring the number of sims down to
just those who somehow interacted with your life.  But then it slides right
on past there to a Truman Show scenario, where this whole thing really is
about an experiment on you.  The rest of us are all just avatars, and we are
studying what goes on in the mind of you.

Kidding, bygones!  We are really all out here.

Maybe.

How would you know if we are not?

If you were the only one, that would be as weird as quantum mechanics and
Fermi's Paradox.

Samantha, good to see you post again.  You really aughta show up more than
once every year or two.  Of course that comment is all part of the
experiment on you.

{8^D