[ExI] it's the yoga! was: RE: The Doomsday Clock

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Feb 9 21:25:05 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dave Sill
Sent: Friday, February 9, 2018 11:36 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] it's the yoga! was: RE: The Doomsday Clock

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 1:55 PM, <spike at rainier66.com <mailto:spike at rainier66.com> > wrote:

Ja, we know these 70 dollar DNA kits are not terribly accurate, but they did a terrific job on mine.  I was able to find DNA-linked cousins in both Sweden, Germany and Ireland, and trace right back to the place they came from in two of those three cases.  I would give them a score of not perfect but good, a solid B+.

>…Did you read the article? It's not about the tests being inaccurate, it's about the inherent limitations of the process of determining geographic origin from a set of SNPs.

-Dave

Ja, that is what I was referring to as well.  It gives geographic estimates based on matches who are from those areas.  Regarding accuracy, it is accurate in finding people who share segments of DNA; I have no complaint there.  They found some geographic stuff in mine I find questionable, or at least I hope they are wrong: it traced to France (oh mercy, not France.)