[ExI] it's the yoga! was: RE: The Doomsday Clock

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 07:47:23 UTC 2018

On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 7:23 PM,  <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> What happens to old languages when we need all the words and grammatical
> constructs to describe new technology?  Navajo doesn’t have words for cars,
> cell phones, computers, all the cryptic technology stuff we have now.  How
> do these original languages manage?
>
> Hey that would be a kick: have a couple of code-talkers discussing quantum
> computing devices in Navajo.

That was, in fact, part of the original code-talkers' trick.  What are
the Navajo words for tank, battalion, and sniper?  Even if the Germans
had someone who knew Navajo (they didn't), said person would have had
to keep up with the new invented words that the code-talkers had
distributed among themselves.