[ExI] it's the yoga! was: RE: The Doomsday Clock

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 21:54:55 UTC 2018

I don't think we'll make progress on improving human behavior until we
soundly reject irrational belief systems.

-Dave
Religion's lists of sins and good deeds is fairly sane and rational.  Some
of what Jesus said I believe in.  Ditto some other religious people -
Buddha, Confucius, probably Mohammed.  It's not all gods and miracles and
heavens and hells. I could easily be convinced that many who are religious
reject the metaphysics parts and treat church like a social club where you
can learn society's rules.

For irrationality - teach critical thinking, starting in kindergarten.  "He
hit you so that makes him a bad person?"  and discuss.

Religion is not the only area where irrational thinking is displayed, as
recently showed by Nobel prize winners in economics.  Kahneman and
Tversky.  And for dealing with the irrational, where should we go but Freud?

bill w