[ExI] woman gets on luggage belt, goes thru x-ray machine

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 20:57:13 UTC 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 12:00 PM, Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 2:42 PM, <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
>> Ja?  Cool that’s a relief.  I still want a machine that we could set up to
>> make someone look like they are nekkid, but not this thing.
>
> That's this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_X-ray
>
> https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.tXAle51mXSmrMofNRTzYwQHaHa%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

Or someone could remake Sony's NightShot:
https://www.wired.com/1998/08/see-you-see-me/ .  These days, put it in
a phone's camera instead of a camcorder.

Or maybe put it on a Google Glass.  It would be an obviously modified
set (since such filters are not default equipment), but still a lot
less obvious that you're seeing more than unenhanced vision.  Though,
the mere potential might cause more of a backlash against augmented
eyewear.

Then again - say some cop did that at some event, where weapons aren't
allowed to the non-cops even by concealed carry, and used it to see
someone smuggling a weapon in, who the cop then proceeded to arrest on
that basis.  Would the courts say "reasonable expectation of privacy",
or would the courts allow such augmented public surveillance to
generate "reasonable cause"?  Or might the cop in question find an
easy way to parallel construct reasonable cause?  Let us specifically
assume this was all made from commercially available kit, which any
member of the public could buy and use; does that change the legal
definition of reasonable public expectations as the courts often use
to decide such matters?  If not, how public would this need to get
before the courts find that how you show up on IR has become part of
reasonable public expectations?

Going further, what if some police department started using that mode
for bodycams, so as to refuse to generally release bodycam video so as
not to show nude-ish images of members of the public?  (Though that
would likely be shot down in short order: a simple solution is just to
use non-IR cameras for bodycams, and to not integrate "special vision"
with "public recording of actions" into the same hardware regardless
of any alleged cost savings.)