[ExI] de Waal

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 03:12:53 UTC 2018

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 11:50 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> *​> ​Have you heard of the terrible twos?*

Yes, two years olds have been known to vigorously debate with their parents
about the optimal number of cookies to receive or when bedtime is,  but I
am more interested in the political and religious views of 22 years olds
than two year olds
and how they compare to that of their parents. There is a reason there are
very few Mormon children in Saudi Arabia, its because there are very few
Mormon adults in Saudi Arabia.

> *>Teenage rebellion?*

Same story, they'll rebel against the small stuff but they almost always
end up teaching their children the same old time religion their parents
taught them in infancy. ​

> *> I also wonder what the statistics are about children growing up and
> following their parents' religion and other beliefs. *

Take a look at this color map of world religions:​

http://www.geocurrents.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Wikipedia-World-Religion-Map-2.png

​Notice the blocks of solid color, why do you suppose that is? If children
didn't almost always follow the religious views of their parents​ the color
a individual pixel has should be random and have no relation to nearby
pixel, and instead of seeing solid blocks of color it would all blend into
white. But that's not what we see.

However I admit their are exceptions; I didn't end up with the religious
beliefs of either of my parents, my mother was a Catholic and my father was
a agnostic but I am a atheist.

John K Clark