[ExI] Charlie Stross foresees a bleak future (mainly due to tech misuse)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 12:49:06 UTC 2018

Dude, you broke the future!
By Charlie Stross

This is the text of my keynote speech at the 34th Chaos Communication
Congress in Leipzig, December 2017.

<http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2018/01/dude-you-broke-the-future.html>

Abstract:
We're living in yesterday's future, and it's nothing like the
speculations of our authors and film/TV producers. As a working
science fiction novelist, I take a professional interest in how we get
predictions about the future wrong, and why, so that I can avoid
repeating the same mistakes. Science fiction is written by people
embedded within a society with expectations and political assumptions
that bias us towards looking at the shiny surface of new technologies
rather than asking how human beings will use them, and to taking
narratives of progress at face value rather than asking what hidden
agenda they serve.

In this talk, author Charles Stross will give a rambling, discursive,
and angry tour of what went wrong with the 21st century, why we didn't
see it coming, where we can expect it to go next, and a few
suggestions for what to do about it if we don't like it.