[ExI] Neural networks score higher than humans in reading and comprehension test

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 16 21:51:22 UTC 2018

>. So. is there anyone else here who does reading comprehension tests that
way?

spike

An SAT is a race: if you can get all the way through one of them, you have a
huge advantage over those who read carefully, answer half the questions
perfectly and never see the rest.  So of course my method got me way up into
the thin air on those tests.  But hey, I never claimed to be smart at
reading comprehension.

So now. I hear they managed to teach software to do that same trick.

Then it occurred to me: the way SAT is done, there isn't any way to defeat
those who learn the tricks.  But with computers we can.  We can take SAT
questions, show the test taker the passage, then remove the passage, then
present the questions with no additional access to the passage.  Then a
prole must read and understand, and remember what was in the passage, ja?

OK then, my next idea is that we can have contests where we are forced to
that method, human vs human for now.  Khan Academy offers a bunch of SAT
practice tests (free!) so we could set a timer and do the tests that way,
then compare our results.  It would be a self-report honor system contest,
where you read the passage, then scroll down to hide the text, then off you
go.

I fear I would be dumber than a dog turd at that.  I would suck worse than
Hubert Cecil Booth.  It is a different skill from the one I honed to a fine
edge in my misspent childhood and youth.

My point: computers would kill us at that game.  They remember everything
they see, perfectly.

We need to leverage that ability of computers, and this software is a great
encouragement that we are on the right track.