[ExI] The tools humanity will need for living in the year 1 trillion

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 09:47:59 UTC 2018

Not wanting to be the ignorant one here, but how can an object with mass
travel faster than the speed of light? Did I miss some big science news? I
thought maybe the interpretation by the reporter was incorrect, but the
quote is straight from the paper itself.

The accelerated expansion of the Universe pushes resources away from us at
> an evergrowing speed. Once the Universe will age by a factor of ten, all
> stars outside our Local Group of galaxies will not be accessible to us as *they
> will be receding away faster than light*. Is there something we can do to
> avoid this cosmic fate?

After poking around the internet for a while, it seems that these galaxies
are "moving" faster than light not because they actually exceed the speed
of light in any way, but rather because space is expanding between them and
us at a rate faster than the speed of light. So it is not the matter or
energy which is exceeding the speed of light, but rather the "medium"
(space-time) is expanding in such a way that we are being separated at a
speed which exceeds the speed of light. So technically, the speed of light
is not "broken" in any way.

I think of most of you on the list as being much smarter than myself. Do I
get the gist of it? Or can someone explain it to me more clearly or point
me to good resourses?

I really should get a Maths degree.