[ExI] Should the US Have a Military Presence in Space?
sen.otaku at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 02:05:13 UTC 2018
While I do like the increased focus on space, I have a few issues.
1. The US military infrastructure is becoming quite old. Many planes are flying well past their projected decommissioning.
2. The current US military forces are over-extended. There are not enough troops, and so the ratio of deployed troops to support troops is not favorable.
3. The US is rapidly shifting it’s foreign policies and attitudes. I imagine more and more countries will be on edge over this if it continues for any serious length of time, especially if we have military orbiting over various countries. Space doesn't have “restricted airspace” to any appreciable degree.
4. The US struggles to fund it’s current budget initiatives, or national needs, such as the creation and maintenance of public infrastructure, social welfare programs, among other things.
5. Wouldn’t this potentially violate the Outer Space Treaty?
But despite that, I am interested to see where this takes us. The Space Race brought us many interesting and useful technologies that we enjoy today.
More information about the extropy-chat