[ExI] I wish this was fake news

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 13 02:43:20 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Dave Sill

>…There's plenty of evidence that Russia tried to influence the election, but I haven't seen much in the way of actual voting machine hacking. Not saying it didn't or couldn't happen...

Barbra Streisand: “I’ve talked to senators from Michigan and Wisconsin. I do believe, like I believed during Bush, they were playing with those voter machines…”

>>…So both sides should agree we need to get rid of every last one of them, ja?  It’s a bipartisan issue.

>…If the Russians helped Trump, how likely is he to try to prevent that in the future?

Elections are done on a state level.  Trump can’t do anything either way.  It isn’t his call.

>>…  I have long considered them dangerous: first time an election comes out looking really suspicious and the machine vote disagrees with the paper ballot, we have a very well-armed nation at odds with itself.

>…I don't think we need to get rid of electronic voting machines but we do need a paper trail and substantially improved security measures and auditing. Honestly, I don't know why we don't have an open source project handling this. With a block chain we should be able to do online voting securely.  -Dave

More than twenty years ago in this forum we correctly foresaw future warfare which no longer had anything to do with hurling chunks of metal at one’s adversary but rather was memetic.  We keep hearing of Russians doing this and that, but it isn’t at all clear if their actions were an act of war.  That is the anticipated nature of memetic warfare: it isn’t clear who is doing it and what are their aims.