[ExI] I wish this was fake news

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 01:44:28 UTC 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 1:16 PM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  If the solution is neither X nor not X then
>>>  according to logic the solution does not exist.
>>
>> That assumes X is a variable that can only be true or false, and that
>> all cases of X being false are equivalent.
>
> No, it assumes nothing of the sort.

Yes it does.

> I accidentally dropper my pen. That is a
> problem. The solution to that problem is either a banana or the solution is
> not a banana. In this case the solution is not a banana, in this case the
> solution is to pick the pen up. If the solution is not a banana and also not
> not a banana then I will never see my pen again and must just learn to live
> without it.

The solution is not "a banana", as in applying a banana (which can not
pick stuff up) will not solve the problem.

The solution is not "not a banana", as in ensuring the absence of a
banana is irrelevant to the solution.

>> merely getting rid of Trump
>> is not the totality of the solution;
>
> In the real world big problems rarely have total solutions and stupidity is
> a big problem, but getting rid of a dishonest lying pinhead who has his
> grubby little finger on the nuclear trigger would be a big step in the right
> direction.

Agreed.  But the original poster you were responding to was pointing
out that there's more to the solution.