[ExI] Myths among psychologists

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 22:36:25 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 3:00 PM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/03/05/belief-in-brain-
> myths-and-child-development-myths-continues-even-among-
> those-whove-studied-psychology/
>
> Maybe Bill W can ramify this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

​There was a study done by a psychologist that may answer your question:
he handed out a list of typical myths and noted the results.  He designed
his course so that each myth was given time in class and thoroughly refuted.

At the end of the semester he again gave the myth list.  He got
approximately the same results.  This, of course, is very discouraging to a
teacher.

It's hard to change attitudes that are popularly believed and have been
held a long time.  Another factor:  when we pull out a memory, we can
misattribute it to other than the source we actually got it from.  So,
picking up a myth from a friend about psychology may be remembered as
coming from a psych class and not the friend, giving it validity.

bill w​