[ExI] Tabby's star, computronium size

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Mar 26 20:32:28 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark
Subject: Re: [ExI] Tabby's star, computronium size

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 5:34 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com <mailto:hkeithhenson at gmail.com> > wrote:

>> Tabby's star is taking another  dip and it would be interesting to measure the size and consistency of the dust.  Dust dims blue light more than red light.

>… the dust particles are larger than 10^-6 meters and smaller than 2*10^-3 meters. That's pretty small, I can't see any reason a ET engineer would make a computronium node that small…

Indeed sir?  If they are up in the 1 – 2 mm range I would be puzzled about why they are so big.  For a lotta thermodynamic reasons, about .1 mm is right in the zone for computronium.  In that range, your surface area to volume ratio is good for collecting sufficient energy from the star while still being able to reject heat passively (the jury is still out on the thermodynamic considerations after all this time.)

>…And how does the computronium theory explain the observations better than the dust theory does?

The dust notion depends on whatever caused the dust to have been a very recent event.  Otherwise the cloud would be more uniform than they are, ja?  It is possible of course that we are seeing the aftermath of something that happened within the last few tens of thousands of years.  But computronium will be as clumpy as is practical.

>…Are Saturn's rings made of computronium too?

Not yet.  Working that.

>…Even Tabetha Boyajian after whom Tabby's Star is named thinks its just dust, probably because she believes in Occam's razor…

Sure but what if… we discovered a portrait of William of Ockham and… he had a huge shaggy beard?  Would she still believe in it?

John we recognize there is plenty of wishful thinking orbiting Tabby’s star.  If it fires our collective imagination and gets smart ambitious grad students to get with it on their calcs of what a computronium cloud would look like, perhaps this will eventually result in a computronium cloud around our sun.  A natural random event looks (from a distance) like a technological structure, resulting in a tech-advanced species inventing a technological structure that looks (from a distance) like a natural random event.

spike

.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1708.07556.pdf

John K Clark