[ExI] Guns caused UK Industrial Revolution

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon May 7 21:30:50 UTC 2018

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:40 PM, <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

*​> ​we were tech geeks, and we had to admit that war really does drive
> tech.*

There is certainly a lot of truth in that, but on the other hand the first
automated machine (1804) and the first digital machine to make lots and
lots of money was the
​
Jacquard loom and it had nothing to do with war. And I'll say this for the
Romans, they were among the first to make large structures that were
actually worth building, like aqueducts and roads and harbors and public
baths and stadiums where people could enjoy themselves by watching people
kill other people
​.​

​Before
 the Romans it was all tombs and temples and statues of gods that didn't
exist and huge pyramidal structures that were supposed to be resurrection
machines but didn't work worth a damn and were robbed almost as soon as
they were finished.

​John K Clark​