[ExI] The Turing Test

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 18:04:50 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 15, 2018, 1:23 PM John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, with "Google Duplex" It looks like machines are getting close to
> passing Mr. Turing's test.
>

> http://www.kurzweilai.net/two-major-advances-in-autonomous-technologies-that-rival-human-abilities?utm_source=KurzweilAI+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=1998733fea-UA-946742-1&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6de721fb33-1998733fea-282205341

Or does this suggest that people are more robotic than they like to admit?

Brains are expensive to operate,  we've learned habits as shortcuts to
thinking - this demo illustrates how machines can exploit our
expectations/habits to manipulate the world.

Sure,  the machine navigates the interaction but it's not scheduling
appointments with its own volition.

Talking about the Turing test in this context strikes me as confusing the
secretary for the CEO.

I will concede I may not have a deep understanding of the parameters and
requirements of the Turing test.