[ExI] The Turing Test

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue May 15 21:37:38 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 5:08 PM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

*​>​Isn't the Turing test just whether people can tell it's a person or a
> computer?*

​Yes.

> ​> ​
> *It seems to this psychologist that that is a very low bar to get over.
> People believe what they want to believe and are easily fooled.*

But in this case the people didn't even know they were in a test, they just
assumed they were talking to a human. And the machine did a better job
making a reservation to the Chinese restaurant than I could have done; with
the thick accent and elliptical phrasing I had great difficulty
understanding what the human was trying to say, but obviously to the
computer it was clear as a bell.

> ​>* ​*
> *I'd like to see a more meaningful test.*

​
Like what? All Turing is saying is that we should  judge how intelligence a
computer is the same way we judge the intelligence of other people, by
behavior. And I have to say that in this case the computer demonstrated
more intelligence than I have because I would have been constantly saying
"I don't understand what you're saying please repeat it".
​

John K Clark​