[ExI] Cryonics for uploaders discussion: Video

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon May 7 21:47:26 UTC 2018

Re Rose <rocket at earthlight.com> wrote:

 >Thing 1 (Ben): We all do seem to agree. If a perfect copy is made, the
copy is a conscious mind and it IS the SAME mind.

 >The essential concept I am trying to get across is that a copy of you,
in another agent of any kind, will *not be you*

Either you are contradicting yourself here, or you think that 'you' and
'your mind' are not synonymous. I do think that the language tends to
mislead us. We say "Your mind" rather than "the mind that is you", which
kind of implies that there is a separate 'you' that also has a mind. Is
this your view?

My view is that 'you' and 'your mind' are the same thing. Continuity is
a bit of a red herring, because a mind that remembers previous states,
/is/ continuous with those previous states, regardless of any temporal gaps.

Ben Zaiboc