[ExI] Gene drift

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 18:37:58 UTC 2018

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 at 17:46, Tara Maya wrote:

> Smart people without children are a danger to the planet.
>
> Having children invests your interest in a human future. Having no children means you don’t care if you destroy that future. That’s motive.
>
> Brains gives you the means, and all that remains is opportunity to come along to invest in a future which is very hostile to human well-being.
>
> I don’t trust politicians with no children, especially. And if a roboticist with no children started praising some AI, I would be very suspicious. Why should I trust that he wants the kind of future in which my children can thrive? He has zero stake in it. It’s even worse if his biological urge to protect the next generation has been usurped by a robot parasite.
>
> :P

Some of the smart billionaires do have children though. Also it
appears that many of the billionaires are investing heavily in
anti-ageing and life extension research. So they do have an interest
in a good future for the planet. Of course their riches will protect
them to some extent if earth conditions get difficult, but they do
have an interest in the future.

The problem is more about psychopathic billionaires who don't mind how
many die so long as their own life improves.

BillK