[ExI] From Arms Race to Joint Venture

Zero Powers zero.powers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 21:15:40 UTC 2018

I do civil litigation, which for now is not imminently threatened by
automation. The point where an algorithm will be as adept as me at
persuading the 12 human brains that comprise the jury in a civil trial is
still a long way off. So for now my job is safe.

But my time is coming. AI is now being used to automate document creation
(which is cause for concern for transactional lawyers), legal research
(which should give young associates pause), and other areas like due
diligence and family law. Litigators like me won't be adversely affected in
the short term. But, it's just a matter of time before almost all of us
will be sucking our UBI sustenance from the AI teat.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2018/05/23/how-ai-and-machine-learning-are-transforming-law-firms-and-the-legal-sector/

*0**0*