[ExI] From Arms Race to Joint Venture

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 01:40:06 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 3:39 PM Zero Powers <zero.powers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any scenario that ultimately leaves judicial decisions in the hands of AI strikes me as dystopian. An unstated, yet integral, aspect of human notions of justice is the concept of empathy. Any adjudicative ruling made by an agent which has no ability to empathize with the parties and witnesses will never feel like justice to us, however sound the ruling might be.

Not to call out just one individual, but the majority of Congress (and
somewhat the Supreme Court) as well: there are many who say that we
are already at that state, even if the ultimate arbiters are flesh and
blood, given how far removed those in office are from the lives of
most Americans.  (This is the basis of much - not all, but a lot of -
LGBT+ angst, for instance: they keep running into situations made for
other people that they need to adjust for the way they live.  More
importantly, this is a problem for the poorest, with rules and
procedures assuming access to a car, at least a little disposable
income to pay fees, some fixed address at which they can receive mail,
and so on.)

Might there be hope for some kind of automated telepathy, to grant
empathy where it is presently nonexistant?  There is already work on
sending raw signals from one brain to another.

Also: you do civil litigation - any particular field of specialty?
Space law, maybe?