[ExI] libertarianism

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 19:41:59 UTC 2018

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 1:19 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *William Flynn Wallace
> *Subject:* [ExI] libertarianism
>

> >…I do not want giant reductions in governments, local or national.
> Local gov. in Mississippi suffers from not doing enough - such as only on
> state trooper per county,  How much help can that one do?  National gov.
> could be cut fairly severely in several places, notably defense, but it's
> really not going to change in my time and probably not my grandchildren's…bill
>

> BillW, what happens when China and Japan collectively realize how risky it
> has become to loan money to the US government?  It has run enormous
> deficits for years during low unemployment, full prosperity, high growth
> peace time with low interest rates.  So… imagine what happens when the
> lender nations realize what has already been obvious to the casual observer
> for a long time: their investment is as shaky as the willow tree in a
> whirlwind.
>

> spike

Now you are overgeneralizing - I never said that I liked, accepted, thought
was OK, just everything the feds are doing.  I share your concern.  But I
am very pessimistic that things will change a lot.  I think it will take
another crash on Wall Street or maybe even worse to get us off the free
money train we are riding.  We have to raise taxes and lower spending
without harming the vulnerable - and yes, I do think that's possible.  But
before we blame the feds, look at us - I don't know the latest figure, but
the average credit card debt is over $6000 last time I looked.  We are
acting like our government - severely irresponsible.  What are those people
going to do when they retire after having saved next to nothing?  Rely on
the feds to keep the bread and circuses going.

You know, if I had not been deaf in one ear and a college student, I may
have wound up Canadian - would not have served in the military in Vietnam.

The USA is staggeringly rich and monumentally stupid.

bill w