[ExI] From Arms Race to Joint Venture

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 21:08:15 UTC 2018

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 3:58 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> *From:* extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> *On Behalf
> Of *William Flynn Wallace
>

> >…Recent books by Damasio and Sapolsky show conclusively that without
> emotions, people just cannot make decisions that make much sense…
>

> >…Intelligence must now include emotions - it's not all rationality and
> never was.  Historically,of course, emotional decisions were regarded as
> greatly flawed and to be avoided, and now we find out that we simply cannot
> avoid them.  They are absolutely necessary….bill w
>

> My intuition tells me this argument is correct, even though we know that
> emotions can lead to both good and bad decisions.
>

> The best approach is to always strive to have positive emotions, defined
> as the kind of emotions guiding decisions that result in helping oneself
> and others.
>

> spike
>
> The decisions, when they could finally make them (with which they had
> great difficulty) made by the people who had the brain damage that resulted
> in severing the connections were terrible.  So much for rationality only.

Where did we ever learn to make good decisions?  In how to deal with the
world, we had home ec.  Now we have more algebra.  Poor decision.  A friend
sold shares for something or other, and the biggest selling point was just
showing the prospect a chart where compound interest was shown - how fast
it built up, etc.  They sold tons.  Were you taught about interest in high
school?  College? Anywhere?

bill w