[ExI] From Arms Race to Joint Venture

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Oct 26 06:39:52 UTC 2018

BillW wrote:
> I agreed with John Clark on this issue some time ago.  What I think we
> can never tell is whether some machine can feel the same way we do.
> We have difficulty enough telling that between two people.  Give a
> machine the exact same input you give an identical machine and you
> will get identical results.  Not with people.

Yes, and there's a couple of reasons for that. Firstly, the evolved
machines that we call people are much more complex than the designed
machines that we currently make, and secondly they are the product of
natural (i.e. random) processes that actually encourage differences,
with the result that no two people are identical. Both of those things
will change. So while you say "we can never tell..", I'd rather say "we
can't currently tell...".

--
Ben Zaiboc