[ExI] T​erminate​ing​ birthright citizenship

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Tue Oct 30 22:01:05 UTC 2018

John Clark wrote:
> ​T​erminate​ing​ birthright
> citizenship Trump just said he plans to issue a executive order
> terminating birthright citizenship. The 14th amendment to the
> Constitution says:
>

> "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the
> jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State
> wherein they reside.”
>
> That seems pretty clear, however I wouldn't be a bit surprise if Trump's
> new handpicked Supreme Court said a executive order like that was
> perfectly constitutional and just jim dandy; but would anybody like to
> make the argument that the Supreme Court would be correct in making such
> a decision?

I do not see how any SCOTUS judge could make a case for ruling a direct
contradiction of the constitution to be constitutional.

Executive orders do not carry the legal weight of constitutional
amendments in the USA. Never have, never will.

What would be constitutional however is deporting the baby's parents and
keeping the baby either as a ward of the state or put up for adoption.
After turning 18, those children would be able to enter into a contract so
they would therefore be able to sponsor their biological parents for a
visa if they so choose. But in the meantime the letter of the law is
served.

Stuart LaForge

Stuart LaForge