[ExI] article highly recommended

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 00:05:41 UTC 2018

the great minds are approachable. They don't (usually) mind discussing why
they're right and you're wrong as if you were a junior colleague, so long
as you aren't nasty in your disagreement. It's the ones who don't really
know their stuff who lean on their status.
-- David.

I have emailed and gotten replies - not just thanks for writing, but really
addressing question of mine, from Pinker, Kahneman, and others.  Some top
writers too.

I really do not know, but I suspect that the reason a Ph. D. is not a
social title is to avoid pulling rank.  Many people don't know this, and
some doctorates I've known have gotten all in a snit because they weren't
given a Dr. title. Pathetic.
---------------
Today we reject the notion of social rank, so to act condescending is to
imply that one is higher ranking but one is reaching down to treat a
lower-ranking person as an equal.
spike

"Who is this 'we' Kemo Sabe?"  Oh I really disagree with this. I think most
people will too.  Social rank will never go away, despite what some
fluffy-headed liberals want.  I treat my nearly illiterate gardener as an
equal, but we both know who has the vast knowledge and who doesn't.  I
treated H. W. Bush as an equal and he treated me that way, but we both knew
who had the prestige advantage, despite the intellectual disparity.  Try to
tell a CEO that he or she is a social equal to the janitor and get big
laughs.

In the 1st Amendment:  bestowing noble titles is prohibited, but I'll bet a
lot of people would like to see them back.

bill w