[ExI] high quality minds

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Tue Sep 11 19:40:40 UTC 2018

I am stingier about the word genius. If I can get there but they get
there faster, it's not genius. A genius does what I can't fathom
doing. And IQ is never a measure, except that I'd guess there's a
threshold minimum below which someone could not possibly be genius.

I would not use genius for anything other than an achievement of
thought. There are no genius actors, musicians, dancers, athletes,
painters, etc. They can be fantastic but they're not geniuses.

Looking at the history of achievement, I'd say a genius is someone
who is decades or centuries ahead of the rest of their field. That
odds are enough lesser minds would eventually hit on the ideas; the
genius short-circuits it.

I stand by my previously shared canonical example of Lev Landau. His
"Theoretical Minimum" exam, through which he determined if someone
knew enough to be worth talking physics to, was so rigorous that only
43 people ever passed. It required a thorough knowledge of the whole
of physics. Nobel Laureates were prouder of passing his test than of
their Nobel. He didn't write many papers but each of them was
Nobel-worthy. When he won, the prize was for his work on
superfluidity, but it could easily have been for another area.

In math, I can't help but look to precocity and to independent
effort. Folks like Galois or Ramanujan.

The only clear chess genius to me is Fischer, if only on the basis of
his game at age 13 against IM Donald Byrne. He made, especially, two
brilliant moves that for sixty years grandmasters have marveled that
he could have spotted.

-- David.