[ExI] evolution problems

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 20:11:36 UTC 2018

One thing that's always puzzled me about the standard abiogenesis
narrative: how do unicellular creatures evolve into multi-cellular
creatures with tissue differentiation, that also use gamete cells for
reproduction that contain the DNA of all of the tissue types?

It's easy to see how you can go from unicellular creatures to colony
creatures with tissue differentiation. And it's easy to see how you go from
unicellular creatures reproducing via fission to unicellular creatures
reproducing sexually.

The problem seem to be that, once you're a multi-cellular colony creature
with differentiated tissues, it's very hard to see how you get the DNA from
all the subspecies back into a single subspecies of gamete cell.
Conversely, it's also difficult to see how, if you're a unicellular species
that reproduces sexually, how to you accumulate and absorb other species
for tissue differentiation?

Summing up, it's easy to see how one feature (tissue differentiation) or
the other (gametes) evolves, but I've never heard an even remotely
convincing narrative about how you end up with both features in one species.

Speculation: however it ended up happening, I strongly suspect it's the
single innovation that caused the Cambrain explosion. And given how late
the Cambrian explosion was in our planet's prehistory, it may have been a
seriously difficult hump for evolution to get over. And may therefore be a
prime candidate for the Great Filter.