[ExI] Gene Drive and morality

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 23:43:00 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 2:41 PM Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> *Would the birds et al be able to subsist adequately on the remaining
> 3,460 species? *

Perhaps it would cause some harm if birds had only 3460 different types
of mosquitoes to dine on rather than 3500, but I think more harm would be
caused by 450,000 human beings dying every year from malaria. And remember,
malaria is far from the only disease that insect is responsible for.

> > *And might those other species pick up the ability -*

Maybe, but it that would take time and if it does happen we could deal with
it the same way.

> *> *does being able to carry malaria confer any evolutionary advantage?

Malaria is a parasite, it has a very complex life cycle and does neither
the human or the mosquito any good.

 John K Clark