[ExI] just a thought or two

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 16:15:40 UTC 2018

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 at 16:37, spike wrote:

> Law enforcement and government already has everything that is public.  My take on it is that our own former ExI poster Julian Assange was absolutely right: transparency is the best disinfectant.
>
> Now we have all these new tools to help fight crime, which can also be in government and law enforcement.  Consider the case of Carter Page, where the FBI got a warrant to open his email on questionable evidence.  As far as I know there has been no legal consequences for that (certainly consequences, but the perpetrators have not been indicted as far as I know.)
>
> Unlike any time in history, we get to see the inner workings as all that plays out, and we understand the importance of limiting the scope of government, in order to prevent corruption due to excess power.
>
> I am good with transparency: I will show them my life, all of it that is public.  In return they must hold to the limits imposed by the constitution.

Too many laws makes too many criminals.

Quote:
There are so many regulations and criminal statutes on the books that
a civil-liberties expert and lawyer, Harvey Silverglate, thinks that
the average American commits three felonies a day, and they often are
not even aware they are breaking the law. That is, not until a federal
agency begins an investigation and they are indicted.
-----

Look at the Kavanaugh circus. Apart from the three felonies per day,
everyone has incidents from their 'wild-oats' period that must never
be mentioned. Especially if social mores have changed over the years
so that previous OK actions have now become violently non-PC.

They are even disapproving famous people from centuries ago because
they didn't conform to modern standards.

BillK