[ExI] First Picture of a Black Hole!

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 13:36:46 UTC 2019

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 9:18 AM Tomaz Kristan <protokol2020 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>  Why is that important? Plenty of things can cause detectable
>> gravitational lensing
>

> *> Because we MIGHT see a very enlarged star there. Like through a natural
> magnifying lens.*

The probability that the line from Earth to something as small as a star
should just happen to pass super close to something as small as a Black
Hole is extremely low. But there are lots of lines from Earth to something
as large as a galaxy and there is a pretty good chance that one of them
will pass close to something as large as another galaxy. That's why we've
seen gravitational lensing of distant galaxies caused by nearer galaxies
but have not seen the same thing in stars.

 John K Clark