[ExI] First Picture of a Black Hole!

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Apr 12 17:10:49 UTC 2019

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>

>…Ja I pondered why that image would look like that and came to these conclusions except without the numbers.  The cool thing about this is that it confirms the math: we can calculate the Schwarzschild radius based on the inner radius of the photo-ring, then do it a second way based on red/blue shifts of the nearby orbiting stars, and see that the mass agrees with the calcs…spike

Even cooler: it occurred to me that a smaller black hole would have a circular ring that is smaller of course but also more uniform and more tightly packed.  Oh I learned a lot from that image.

Fun aside: Einstein was sitting around thinking of all these things way back over 100 yrs ago, and going way the hell deeper in it than I can follow even now.