[ExI] antiscience from both sides

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 19:31:26 UTC 2019

On Apr 13, 2019, at 2:24 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 3:52 PM William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Exaggerated claims about fetal development.
> ### The faithful believe fetuses have souls, they don't make any unusual claims about fetal development.

I guess that this is probably meant to cover fetuses feeling pain. The dominant view seems to be that before 24 weeks, fetuses don’t feel pain. Also, I’ve seen pro-life folks make other wrong statements about abortion, including that it causes depression, breast cancer, and fertility.

And, sure, it might be true that their core view is there’s a soul in there (starting at conception), but usually anyone making a pro-life case will bring in other stuff since the soul argument isn’t likely to convince people who don’t already believe that. (I’m not going to blame anyone trying to persuade people for bringing in additional arguments provided the additional arguments are valid or don’t fly in the face of evidence. For instance, with myself, I’ll argue in favor of open immigration based on the right of people to peacefully travel and migrate, but I’ll also bring in the economic benefits and the fact that the major arguments for restricting immigration (one’s made both by folks like Bernie Sanders and the current president) are questionable at best.)

That said, when Bill W posted this, I took this to mean typical anti-science views held by one part of the spectrum and not that every last person on that part of the spectrum held those views.

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst