[ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 11:27:08 UTC 2019

The good news is after the most important astronomical observatory in the
world was closed for 4 weeks by protestors for the first time since it
opened in 1967 has now reopened. On the first day of operation they learned
that a near Earth asteroid they'd been worried about will not hit the Earth
after all:

Critical observation made on first night of return to operations
<http://manoa.hawaii.edu/news/article.php?aId=10135>

The Hawaiian observatory was shut down by a mob determined to keep us in
ignorance by illegally stopping construction of the magnificent Thirty
Meter Telescope, it would have been the largest in the world. The protest
started after the astronomers won a 4 year court battle and the law said
they could start construction, but the legal victory meant nothing because
the protestors illegally blocked the only road up 13,803 foot Mauna Kea and
the police refused to protect the astronomers. The mob believes an
invisible man lives on top of that mountain and he doesn't like
telescopes.  After 4 weeks the protesters somewhat relented and
graciously allowed
vehicles to travel on the road again, but only after they were searched to
make certain they contained nothing that could in any way help in
constructing one of the most noble things the human race has ever attempted
to make, the Thirty Meter Telescope.

It's clear to me that law or no law the Thirty Meter Telescope is as dead
as a doornail and the army of ignorance has won. That became even clearer
to me when I learned that two Hollywood braindead actors have joined the
telescope protesters, Dwayne (The Rock) Johnson and Jason (Aquaman) Momoa;
you can't fight the power of Hollywood. It's stuff like this that gives
liberalism a bad name.

 John K Clark