[ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 15:46:29 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 10:43 AM BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

*> Nearly as crazy as John calling the native Hawaiians ignorant.*

Sorry I misspoke, I meant to call the native Hawaiian protestors ignorant
braindead dumb barbarians. But is it really your position that somebody is
not ignorant if they illegally stop the construction of an instrument that
would teach us more about the universe because it would disturb an
invisible man who lives on top of a mountain? Can you tell me with a
straight face that is wise behavior?

* > Both groups are smart*

Both groups were dumb. One group was dumb for obvious reasons but the
astronomers were dumb too, they overestimated the intelligence and
rationality of the native Hawaiian protesters and they should have glad
handed and patronized them more. But I guess most astronomers just aren't
natural politicians.

> * > It's called asymmetrical warfare. If the giant has armour and a big
> sword, you use a slingshot.*

The astronomers had a very small slingshot called reason. The giant had
armour called Dwayne (the Rock) Johnson and a big sword called Aquaman. The
fight was never even close, the poor astronomers never stood a chance.

> * > If the group is larger and you treat them with contempt and call them
> deplorables, then you end up with you know who*.

It may interest you to know that liberal Democratic presidential candidate
Elizabeth Warren agrees with you completely, she fully supports the
deplorable Hawaiian ignoramuses.

* > Weaker members of society are to be looked after, not trampled on *

I agree, we need to treat our astronomers with more respect, they're human
beings too and deserve some dignity.

John K Clark