[ExI] Update on the Hawaiian observatory shutdown

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 14:30:23 UTC 2019

So William are we to believe you've never gotten angry in your life? If
anger never has a useful purpose why do all animals have that emotion, why
did it evolve?

John K Clark

Anger helps the cortisol flow, which energizes muscles etc. for fight or
flight-  in other words, it helps in the immediate danger situation.
Otherwise we should try to eliminate it as, as I said, it stresses the body
unnecessarily because it does not help in any way.  It often leads to
irrational behavior.  Look at people who react with anger when they get
drunk - just looking for a fight and often finding one and jail later.  Has
there been a case of wife beating not fueled by anger?

To me it's like a craving for salt or fat:  helpful in our earlier
evolutionary history, but bad for us now.   One study I read said that one
bout of anger took a week off your life.

And it's Bill if you please.

bill w

On Sun, Aug 25, 2019 at 4:49 AM John Clark via extropy-chat <