[ExI] Frank Jackson's brilliant color scientist Mary

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 01:11:39 UTC 2019

Right, everyone has this misconception that everything in the brain is like
it is in a computer.  Just abstract interpretations of interpretations of
perceptions of perceptions, forever.  This is a big part of qualia
blindness.  There is no qualia or physical quality of any kind in such a
system, nor is there there any qualitative information in any of our
knowledge of the universe.  The only way to get qualitative knowledge of
physics is to be directly aware of it, so you can know the quality of what
the abstract physics information is describing.

In a computer the closest you get to “computational binding” in the CPU is
where you load two registers to mathematically “bind” them.  If you want to
know if a strawberry is ripe enough to pick, you need to analyze each pixel
one at a time in a register, comparing each one to a reference value to see
if it is ripe enough via a difference operation.

These registers are computationally bound with “discreet logic” gates.  The
above image is the very complex discrete logic required to do a subtraction
operation on only 4 bits of two registers.  Each bit you add increases the
complexity exponentially.  All you get from that difference operation is
just another integer value representing how close it is to being ripe
enough.  You need to do further computation from there, including the
differences of all the other pixels of the strawberry, one at a time, then
do yet more complex machinery on all those difference numbers and so on.
Each pixel in a CPU register is represented by an RGB number like
(255,0,0).  Each pixel in our CPU is represented by physics that has an
actuall redness value which can be computationally bound to all the other
pixels and knowledge included in what is a composite qualitative experience.

Each of the pixels of redness knowledge for us is computationally bound
into our massive biological CPU that is just aware of every single pixel,
and you are just aware of each one, all at the same time.  There is lots of
necessary computation going on to achieve that kind of aware of it all at
the same time composite qualitative experience.

With computers, you have “Field programmable gate arrays” to do custom
programming.  Consciousness is what it is like for a massive sleep
programmed gate array CPU to operate.  Redness is only part of what qualia
are.  Most of it is the way each pixel of redness knowledge can be
computationally bound to all the other pixels, your memories and
everything else,
all at once.  Integration Information Theory
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_information_theory> predicts how
you can quantitatively measure the conscious power of any brain CPU by how
“integrated” it is.  They have rigorous methods to measure and calculate
the amount of integration able to do computational and come up with a
quantitative value they refer to as phi.*Ф*

That gives you a quantity of all your computational binding.  To get the
quality of consciousness, you need Representational Qualia Theory
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Representational-Qualia/6#statement>, and
qualitative definitions to words like "redness".

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 3:57 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <