[ExI] The Thirty Meter Telescope is now officially dead

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 21:09:13 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 1:06 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

*> That is the situation that must be dealt with. Given that this must be
> dealt with, it would be more useful to contemplate ways of dealing with it
> and getting the telescope built.*

It's hopeless, tribal politics and the anti-science movement is simply too
strong, it's over they've won and that telescope will never be built.

> *Or finding alternatives to building the telescope there.  I suggest in
> orbit or on the Moon*

Forget it! That would increase the cost by a factor of a hundred, so
nothing even remotely like that is ever going to happen in the Trump
administration which  cut the budget of The National Science Foundation by
12% and is trying to get it to kill it's funding of the many large
observatories it operates.

John K Clark