[ExI] Tim May and DNA

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Feb 10 11:44:08 UTC 2019

William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

"'DNA doesn't '"want" anything' - somebody said.

All random, eh?  Well, just why doesn't DNA produce things like one ear
smaller or some other thing that will not help or hurt survival?  No, it
has a plan.  It tries to produce better parts than what it has got, and
sometimes new parts to fit older systems, like its experiment with the
appendix.

I think DNA is smart.  I would not say aware or planning - that's
teleological.  But I just can't see it doing things randomly."

I shouldn't think anyone here really thinks evolution can 'want'
anything, but it's a bit of a misleading term, anyway.
Maybe better to talk about what it achieves, which is nothing other than
getting genes, or sets of genes, into the next generation.

One thing that evolution does not do, is inevitably result in more
complexity, or any other kind of advancement, in either the phenotype or
the genotype. Neither is what it does, random. It makes use of
randomness (and can vary the degree of randomness used), of course, but
the process itself is far from random.

Just because a process doesn't 'want' something, doesn't mean it must be
random.

I think it's important to realise that evolution doesn't have some kind
of trajectory, or some inevitable end-point. It's just a mechanism, that
does what it does, blindly and without any higher purpose. Whether or
not you can call that 'smart' is debatable, but I don't think it makes
sense to say that DNA has a plan, other than the basic recipe for
evolution: Variation, Replication, Selection, repeated endlessly (OK,
repeated until entropy takes over).

Ben Zaiboc