[ExI] Tim May and DNA

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 02:41:27 UTC 2019

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 7:52 PM William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> *  the CRISPR book I read said something about RNA(?) that went up and
> down the DNA making changes (sorry - can't remember more) - maybe a sort of
> editing?*

You're correct, the full name is CRISPR/Cas9. CRISPR part is a short
sequence of RNA that is complementary to the place on the DNA that you want
to edit. The Cas9 is a protein enzyme that cuts DNA with a slight overlap
rendering the ends sticky so its easy to insert a gene there. The RNA
 positions the Cas9 with great precision so the cut is make just where you
want it to. It's much easier to use and makes fewer errors than previous
gene editing techniques.

John K Clark