[ExI] SETI reviews the Drake equation

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 18:19:22 UTC 2019

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 at 05:48, Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:

<snip>

> So yes, right now Sagittarius A* does not have enough fuel for its
> radio jet to affect the Earth from that distance. But let the black
> hole start siphoning gas off of one of the supergiant stars found
> orbiting it in the galactic core and we are bound to see some
> fireworks. The question of the dust that obscures the galactic core
> from our optical telescopes is a good one. I don't know how effective
> the dust would be in shielding us from the quasar beam if Sagittarius
> A* starts feeding again. The beam is likely to cause one hell of a
> particle wind that could end up blowing all dust right out of the
> galaxy.

There are now suggestions that a nearby supernova in the early solar
system might have had an effect on the creation of our earth.

<https://phys.org/news/2019-02-earth-solid-surface-life-inclined-climate.html>

Quote:
Earth's solid surface and moderate climate may be due, in part, to a
massive star in the birth environment of the Sun, according to new
computer simulations of planet formation.
Without the star's radioactive elements injected into the early solar
system, our home planet could be a hostile ocean world covered in
global ice sheets.
------

BillK