[ExI] intelligence and generalization

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Jan 13 08:38:13 UTC 2019

Bill Wallace wrote:

> I don't have any better understanding of creativity than anyone
> else, or a better way of measuring it, but I don't think we can leave all
> the weight of the ability to adapt to new situations to generalization.
> If we could, then I think that building an intelligent AI would be fairly
> easy. How do we teach creativity to an AI when we don't even know what it
> is or how to measure it?  This is a big challenge.

Perhaps we would be better off not teaching AI how to be creative at least
not for a long time. Perhaps humanity's ability to create and innovate
will be our saving grace. In the not too far off future when all
productive work is being done by machines, perhaps art will be our refuge,
invention our niche, and beauty our forte. I see no reason to rush our
eventual obsolescence. Oblivion isn't going anywhere.

Stuart LaForge