[ExI] ideas for ted

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 21:17:46 UTC 2019

Well, John, why should a college grad know physics?  Seasons?  Who cares -
can look it up, although tilt of the Earth may be too much to handle.  The
average college grad is not who we are looking to to do physics, although a
few things,like atoms, could be taught in, say, 3rd grade.

Anyhow, one doesn't go to Harvard to learn things, except in grad school.
One goes there to join clubs and meet people and get cool jobs later.

But it is an important point:  just how much of each subject should be
taught, and when, and to whom?  I wonder how many accidents, some fatal,
could have been avoided by one simple course in home ec?  How many giant
debts could be avoided by teaching one little course in how to deal with
money?  (just showing people a chart explaining compound interest puts
people in absolute awe - I did this and I know).  Yeah, you could find all
this and much more on Youtube, but will they look?  Remember the
correlation between intellectual ability and confidence in one's facts?
(yeah, this has a name but I can never remember it - Krauss something?)

bill w