[ExI] Superhuman Poker

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 21:08:02 UTC 2019

No-limit Texas Hold Em is the most complex and popular form of poker and 2
years ago a AI was reported that could beat the best human player at it, but
in last Thursday's issue of the journal Science there was a development
that was new for 3 reasons:

1) Previously the AI could win only at one on one play but this new
program (called
Pluribus) could play at a superhuman level against multiple human expert
players and win, and that is much more difficult than one on one play.

2) The program started out knowing almost nothing about Poker but taught
itself to play at a superhuman level in 8 days and did it without human
help.

3) Unlike previous programs this one does not require massive computing
power for the training or for the actual play, it can all be done on a
normal home PC.

It's stuff like this that makes me think my previous no compromise
libertarian philosophy just isn't tenable anymore when dealing with
economic issues.

Superhuman AI for multiplayer poker
<https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2019/07/10/science.aay2400>

John K Clark