[ExI] Superhuman Poker

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 16:20:55 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 11:02 AM Dylan Distasio <interzone at gmail.com> wrote:

> *While these results on the surface are impressive, they are also very
> brittle.  *

Yes the results are brittle, but less brittle than they were a year ago and
much less brittle than they were 5 years ago.

> *The inability of self driving cars to get anywhere near the level 5
> endpoint is a great example to demonstrate how little actual intelligence
> is behind these algos.   *

It's clear that at a fundamental level driving a car requires much more
brainpower than solving partial differential equations. It doesn't seem
that way to us because Evolution provided us with specialized circuitry
that cause us to be good at hand eye coordination, but being good at
multivariable calculus would have given our hominid ancestors on the
African savanna little survival value so we never evolved a great aptitude
for that.

> *Once (big IF) we see Level 5 self driving cars that can perform as well
> or better as humans in all conditions and circumstances, I will start to
> worry about the rise of AI and the singularity.  *

I'm sure today's self driving cars are not as good as the best human
drivers but they are already better than many human drivers and perhaps
better than average.

John K Clark