[ExI] Benchmarking the Singularity

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 19:34:29 UTC 2019

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 12:56 PM William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well, John, that's a lot of interesting information and no joke.
> The eye - is it possible that if strong sunlight were to aim directly at
> retinal cells it would be too strong?  If so, then it's not backwards.
> It's a necessary filter.

We have an iris for that, if the light gets too bright the iris gets
smaller so its safe and as a bonus the image gets sharper. Having nerves
and blood vessels on the wrong side doesn't decrease light sensitivity
significantly but it does reduce sharpness due to diffraction. And that
blind spot is just nuts. I think the first eye probably couldn't do much
more than tell the difference between night and day and so it didn't matter
which side of the film, aka retina, the nerves and blood vessels were on,
but when the eye started to improve it did make a difference but by then it
was too late to backtrack. I think it was a coin toss and could have gone
either way, the ansestors of squids were just lucky while the ansestors of
the vertebrates were not.

 John K Clark