[ExI] Sunday Creationist

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 19:20:17 UTC 2019

I mean, I understand the critique and I also don’t. I’m a “millennial” (just barely) and my entire generation has been ridiculed since Elementary school for things that are actually the failings of our parents. And, increasingly stereotypes for the generation UNDER us (Under 23ish) are foisted off on “millennials”.

Is it fair? No. Does it make us want to work with people older than us? No. Do we get over it because we have to? Yes. Are these jabs usually funny? Yes, they are. I’m not the type to do avocado toast of sip Starbucks all day, but I know people who do.

The reason people get bent out of shape about it is religious mainly, and religious people tend to be concentrated in rural areas, and educated people are concentrated in urban areas. Religiosity and education are inversely correlated.

What I think gets lost in the discussion is that for many young earth creationists, this is seen as a salvation issue. They see themselves mocked for trying to save people from what they believe is an inescapable, indescribable, eternal torture. Imagine yourself is you had such a conviction. Wouldn’t you act in a similar way out of desperation to warn people?

I grew up around many such people and I sympathize. The truth of the matter, is that there is no real place for debate on issues which are based on emotions rather than reason. Instead, you would have to remove the emotional component first.

But sometimes I find jokes like the one above amusing, even though I know nearly all creationists believe in micro evolution.

SR Ballard