[ExI] Parasocial relationships (was: stealth singularity)

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 16:02:44 UTC 2019

How likely is someone to bond with a virtual character?

Have you seen how people ship fictional characters all the time, write fan fiction, salivate about character skins, spend tens of thousands of dollars on character branded merchandise ? Pokémon is like 1/8th of Japan’s GDP.

A parasocial relationship doesn’t have to be with a “real” person. Look at waifu culture.

SR Ballard