[ExI] Boston Dynamics: New Robots Now Fight Back

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 17:23:04 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 12:33 PM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> We all felt that SR.  We cheered when the robot began to whoop ass, the
> particular asses which genuinely needed whoopin.
>

> I think that video was somehow faked, don’t know how.  Looking at it from
> the POV of a controls guy, pushing or hitting the biped bot with a hockey
> stick isn’t so much an assault as it is a random input, which requires a
> compensation loop.
>

> If Boston Dynamics really did get an actual robot to do all this, I am
> really impressed with them.
>

> I would still like to see those guys get a bot-delivered ass whoopin of
> course, but once I think it thru, everything they did there makes sense.

Yes, the video is totally fake. Here's how they did it:

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCuG-KJacp8

The fact that a small group of talented people can believably fake
something like this should encourage us all to be more skeptical and not
relay fakes. I did it to raise awareness and because the video was funny.

-Dave